Mike Griffin has spent the past 20+ years helping insurance clients — including insurtechs, startups and investors — navigate challenging regulatory and transactional issues to achieve their business objectives.
A former partner in the internationally recognized Insurance Regulatory and Transactional Practice of the law firm of Edwards & Angell, Mike provides strategic regulatory and transactional advice to domestic and international clients from all segments of the insurance and reinsurance industry, including insurance companies, producers, agents, brokers, and third party administrators.
With his extensive industry experience, client-friendly hands-on approach and a trusted reputation for positive results, Mike has become a go-to resource for insurance regulatory and transactional matters.
Mike practices in the area of insurance and reinsurance law and general corporate law. He provides strategic corporate and regulatory advice to domestic and international clients from all segments of the insurance and reinsurance industry, including producers, brokers and third party administrators. Mike has represented clients in the formation, acquisition, sale and licensing of insurers, reinsurers, producers, captive insurance companies and risk retention groups.
Mike is a member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, a national association of attorneys specializing in insurance regulatory law.
Agent/Broker Mergers and Acquisitions
Mike has represented dozens of insurance agents and brokers in M&A transactions, with a focus on representing clients in the sale of their businesses. Mike’s extensive insurance industry experience helps clients smoothly navigate complex transactions, addressing regulatory and related issues unique to the insurance industry.
Regulatory and Compliance Advisory
Mike advises agents, brokers, TPAs, reinsurers, insuretech startups and other insurance entities on regulatory issues critical to their businesses. In addition to strategic regulatory advice, Mike assists clients with formation and licensing, contract drafting and negotiation, and representation before state regulatory authorities.
- Representing insurance companies, producers, agents and brokers in purchase and sale transactions.
- Providing business advisory and regulatory counseling for insurtechs, startups and investors.
- The formation, and licensing of insurers, producers, agents and brokers and third party administrators.
- Contract drafting and negotiation of agency, program administrator and managing co-producer, and sub-producer agreements.
- The design and implementation of fronting transactions.
- Assisting insurers, producers, agents and brokers, third party administrators and associations and other groups in the structure and regulatory considerations in the marketing and sale of group and affinity insurance programs.
- Multi-jurisdiction regulatory audits.
- Representing clients before state regulatory authorities.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC), a national association of attorneys specializing in insurance regulatory law.
- Professional Insurance Marketing Association (PIMA), Board of Directors and Chair of Legislative and Regulatory Committee.
- Connecticut Bar Association, member.
- West Hartford Youth Lacrosse League, Board of Directors.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “Overview of the Regulatory and Compliance Obligations of Insurance Producers, Agents and Brokers,” co-author, Federation of Regulatory Counsel Quarterly Journal, Summer 2017.
- Professional Insurance Marketing Association, Affinity 2020 Report, Task Force Member and Contributing Author, 2015.
- The Structure and Purpose of Group Insurance Trusts, co-author, Professional Insurance Marketing Association White Paper, September, 2013.
- The Origin and Structure of Life & Health Affinity Insurance Programs in the U.S., contributing author, Professional Insurance Marketing Association White Paper, September, 2012.
- “Regulatory: A 7-point checklist for drafting and negotiating indemnification provisions,” co-author, InsideCounsel, March 2, 2012.
- “Regulatory: Pros and Cons of Using Arbitration for Dispute Resolution” co-author, InsideCounsel, February 15, 2012.
- “Regulatory: When Internal Audit Reports are Privileged”, co-author, InsideCounsel, December 21, 2011.
- “You Can’t Get – or Give – Something for Nothing,” co-author, Federation of Regulatory Counsel Quarterly Journal, Summer 2009.
- “Overseas Insurers,” co-author, Risk Management Magazine, February 2009.
- “Pressure growing for greater Transparency between U.S. Brokers and Insurers in 2006,” Insurance Day, December 2005.
- “Electronic Signatures Act Paves Way for E-Insurance Transactions,” Insurance and Reinsurance Update, September 2000.
- Professional Insurance Marketing Association Annual Meeting Co-Chair and Presenter January 2015.
- “Effective M&A Strategies for the Buyer and the Seller”, presented at National Underwriter Seminars on Creating and Enhancing Agency Shareholders Value, Spring 2010 and 2011.
- “Producer Compensation: The Regulatory and Legal Environment”, presented to SILA National Education Conference, August 2007.