Grant is an experienced insurance transactional and regulatory attorney, having previously served as Senior Corporate Counsel for M&A and Corporate Governance at Relation Insurance Services and as Corporate Counsel at BroadStreet Partners. Both Relation and BroadStreet are among the 50 largest brokers according to Business Insurance magazine.
“Grant’s skillset and track record are tailor-made for ACCEL Law Group. He has acted as lead counsel on well over 50 insurance acquisitions and divestitures while also advising on regulatory and other corporate legal matters. His decision to seek out and join ACCEL is the latest endorsement of the franchise we’ve built as the premier law firm advising insurance agents and brokers,” commented ACCEL co-founder Chuck Welsh.
“In my prior roles, I had become familiar with ACCEL Law Group as the go-to player in the agent/broker legal space. The firm’s reputation suggested that this would be a perfect place to leverage my prior experience to serve growing insurance intermediaries. I am excited to join such a strong team and dynamic workplace.”
Co-founder Mike Griffin added, “Grant has served on the legal teams of very large insurance organizations and has also provided counsel to smaller subsidiaries, giving him experience across the spectrum served by ACCEL. We are excited to have him as a resource for our clients and are thrilled to have him join our team as our book of business continues to grow.”
Prior to joining ACCEL Law Group, Grant was most recently Senior Corporate Counsel for M&A and Corporate Governance at Relation Insurance Services, a private-equity backed insurance brokerage that offers business insurance, employee benefits, personal insurance, retirement services, and risk-management. In his role at Relation, he advised Relation and its subsidiary entities on a wide variety of matters, including M&A activities, commercial transactions, regulatory issues, corporate governance, litigation, and employment matters. Previously, he spent five years as Corporate Counsel at BroadStreet Partners, an insurance brokerage holding company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. At BroadStreet, Grant’s accomplishments include:
- Counseled parent company and subsidiaries on mergers and acquisitions, which included performing due diligence, regulatory filings, as well as structuring, drafting, and negotiating purchase agreements, bills of sale, and disclosure schedules
- Acted as lead counsel on over 50 acquisitions (and well as several divestitures), including asset purchase transactions and stock purchase transactions, totaling over $350 million in transaction value
- Advised parent company and its subsidiaries on numerous corporate governance matters, including: incorporation and organization; corporate charters, policies, and bylaws; operating agreements; shareholder consents; and board resolutions
- Acted as de facto general counsel for subsidiary companies ranging in size from $10 million to $100 million in annual revenue
- Counseled management owners of subsidiary companies on ownership transactions, which included drafting and providing guidance related to stock purchase and sale agreements, membership interest purchase agreements, redemption agreements, contribution agreements, promissory notes, security agreements, and stock ledgers and ownership schedules